Monday, July 9, 2012

Yellow wires, blue boxes, and a Native American Princess.

Debris is what I am good at.
I know its been almost a whole month. I am aware. You have to understand dear readers, that the massive improvements to the house on Main Street are not much to be appreciated visually. Honestly the house looks nearly identical to what it did a month ago; except the hollow walls are now strung with bright yellow wire and dotted with hollow blue boxes.

You see, electricity has finally come to the house on Main.    Eureka.

I don't know much about electricity other than I like it and I am glad that I live in a time when I can abuse the fact that I have it by accidentally leaving lights on and blasting music too loud at random hours of the night. I wasn't much help during this installation process so I filled up the last month with plans, work, and scouring antique stores for quirky additions to the house.

Oh, hello basement. I can see you through the laundry room floor!


Some of my awesome finds include:

Magtag Gemini gas stove: $350 my $1800 dream stove at a banging' price. Thanks Habitat for Humanity!


This awesome iron and milk glass chandelier: $5 I am seeing this in a bathroom.

This lamp made of hooves: $??? I am not telling because Will would kill me. He hates it.

Chalk horse: $3 I have already broken one of his legs. Character.

Rooster cookie jar: $7
Chrome diner chair: $2 To be recovered in a grey velvet. I am unapologetically obsessed with chrome right now.
Huge and very old mirror: $2

and my crowning glory,
Native American Princess oil painting on cloth in cool old frame: $35

Honestly I would have paid more for this pretty and suspiciously Caucasian lady. You see I firmly believe that an old house should have an old portrait in it. It greets your visitors and brings a little lore to the place. I could have gone the creepy realistic portrait route (I found a few paintings that I wouldn't want to meet down a hallway late at night) but I prefer quirkiness to creepiness. I had seen this pretty lady in the antique store multiple times before I finally caved and bought her. Each time I left without her under my arm I regretted it and I would find myself checking in on her each visit until the amazing 25% off sale over 4th of July weekend. All self control was lost and she came home. She is just so smiley and happy looking that I am sure she will be the perfect Main Street house mascot. I just love her.

The plans for the rest of July are as follows:

1. Rent ANOTHER dumpster and clean out house AGAIN. Does the plaster and insulation ever end? No it doesn't.
2. Plant the front yard. All of my poor plants are dying to get in the ground.
3. Paint doors. Probably blue instead of the yellow I wanted but fear not because...
4. Paint and hang huge YELLOW porch swing. We can't compromise on Will's beloved coconut shampoo smell but we can paint the swing yellow instead of the door.
5. Find 10k to pay for heating and ventilation system. Don't worry, I have a plan. It isn't stripping or prostitution.
6. Buy a toilet and hook it up. I am sick of peeing in the drain in the basement. Girl has a tiny bladder.
7. Try to blog more. I WILL TRY.

1 comment:

  1. lol - Your blogs make me giggle! I loove the excitment of all of us this! ( But like will - the hoove lamp is sooo gross! ) . Please got a potty soon!

    ReplyDelete