Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What have we done?!!

Masks for safety and attractiveness.

I am so sorry I have neglected you all. The interest in this insanity has blown my mind and I hate that I have left you all in the dark for almost 2 weeks!!

My husband is so manly, tolerant, and attractive. 

Today was the first day I asked myself this question. I went into demolition mode thinking I would LOVE it. I mean, I get to knock down walls with a HUGE sledge hammer feeling all badass and bashing away all the stress in my life right?

The debris grows...

Wrong.

You see, what I didn't anticipate about demo was the dust. Old insulation is also terrible. After 8 hours of beating down walls you are left in a pile of rubble, itching like a crazy person from all of the old fiberglass that is all over your face. The bashing and crashing is great; the aftermath of itch and hundreds of pounds of plaster that has to be carried out of the house into the 5 foot tall dumpster is nothing but humbling.

One of the many piles.

I have found that all of the old features that make you want to buy an old house are suddenly the ones you couldn't care less about. The priceless 8 inch tall moulding on all of the doorways and baseboard you absolutely adored becomes such a pain when you have to pry it off of each and every stud without damaging it. The cast iron claw foot tub you dreamed about becomes this heavy unmovable thing you have to work around to remove the ugly linoleum roles underneath. The little victories seem suddenly eclipsed by the huge realities of the old and damaged house you bought.

Husband to wife pep talk on our stoop.

It is time like these you buy yourself new MAC lipstick called "Brave Red", shiny new house numbers to put on your doors, and listen to everyone who tells you the house will someday be beautiful. It will someday be a legitimate HOME that is worth all of the work, the money, blood, sweat, and freak outs.

Someday this will be grand.

At the end of the day you HAVE to believe everyone else who can see the progress and plans, when all you can see is debris and old linoleum.

New house numbers, and a thumbs up from my dear father-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment